In recent time I went for the Inner Engineering course from Isha Yoga. In this course they teach one Shambhavi Maha Mudra which emphasizes on getting the body, mind, emotion and energy together focus as one.
There are few steps in this, the first part is the preparatory exercises and the second part is the actual kriya itself.
There are three preparatory exercises:
1. Pathang asana (the butterfly)
2. Shishubala asana (rocking child)
2a. Right leg
2b. Left leg
3. Nadi vibhajan
Exercise 1 and 2 has to be done for 2mins and 3rd has to done 3times.
The main focus area of these exercises is to strengthen the base of spinal chord.
Now the second part starts which is a 5step process. To do this one should sit in Artha Sidhasana, which is sitting with left lower foot pressed firmly towards mooladhara. :
1. Reverse U-breathing. Start and end with exhalation from left nostril. While breathing from one nostril the other should be closed. 6mins
2. A-U-M chanting. This starts with ‘A’ from little below navel, ‘U’ from chest & lungs, ‘M’ from throat with closed mouth. One can feel the vibrations inside. 21times.
3. Rapid breathing or rabbit breathing with head slightly up and focus on junction between the eyebrows. 3mins.
4. Bandas which is neck, diaphragm and anal locking with fullest and with emptiness. Depends on how long one can hold his/her breath.
5. With head slightly up and focus between the eyebrows, normal breathing. 5mins.
In all the entire kriya is for 21mins. Basically there are three importants steps in pranayama
1. Pooraka (Inhalation)
2. Rechaka (Exhalation)
3. Kumbhaka (Retention)
In kumbaka there are two types, again Antar kumbhaka (holding the breath after inhalation) and Bahya kumbhaka (holding the breath after exhalation).
That is what is used here with minimal effort and simple steps. One needs balance of body, stability to sit through for 21mins which is where the preparatory exercises help.
Benefits of the program:
1. Increase in cellular energy levels
2. Healing of physical ailments & enhanced immunity levels
3. Healing of psychological disorders, accompanied by emotions such as peace, joy and well-being
4. Neurological changes in the brain
5. Genetic transformation
6. Expression of extraordinary abilities like materialization and levitation
I have only mentioned the steps above and how it should be done. I cannot do so since am not a teacher. Its is better to learn from teacher than to learn through books.
For further reads and research articles:
1. Article 1
2. Article 2
3. Article 3
4. Article 4
5. Article 5
Books if you still look for one:
1. Book 1
2. Book 2
With unceasing appetite for knowledge-Muthukrishnan